V-Sprint Club Newsletter (2) – Thursday 25 September 2014
1. Wow! Bradley Wiggins just won the Time-Trial World Championships! Very inspiring. Some club members do not give time-trialling the respect it deserves!
2. Club rides are continuing on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 7pm, and on Saturdays and Sundays at 9.30am. Full details on the club website at: http://club.v-sprint.com/club-rides/ We will continue to build up the Sunday ride, and the ‘B’ ride in particular, so invite along anyone who you think might be interested.
3. Lee Gardener has booked the Stourport Circuit for training from 10am-12pm on the first Sunday of the next four months, starting on 2 November. Jim Varnish offer to provide coaching geared at race preparation and practice. Lee was going to follow up on this. Dates are:
Sunday 2 Nov
Sunday 7 Dec
Sunday 4 Jan
Sunday 1st Feb
4. The LVRC are offering track training sessions at Manchester Velodrome for all levels of ability, including novices, on:
Sunday 30 November 2014 3pm to 5pm
Sunday 21 December 2014 3pm to 5pm
Sunday 18 January 2015 3pm to 5pm
Further dates for February and March will be announced in due course. Entries should be on a standard LVRC entry form from www.lvrc.org.uk, with £12 per session enclosed. One form may be used for multiple dates. Please make cheques payable to “D Watson”.Please don’t forget to enclose a stamped addressed envelope. Hire bikes are available. If you need one, simply specify the size required on your entry form and pay for it on arrival at the track. As these sessions are often over-subscribed, early entry is recommended to avoid disappointment. Please send your entries to:
Dave Watson, 207 Manchester Road, Greenfield, Oldham. OL3 7HX.
Tel: 01457 837113
5. Jackie Fowler (and Andy?) and Francis Longworth – and a couple of others – are still planning on doing the Tour of Worcester event on Sun Oct 12. I did this in 2009. Ankerdine, etc. Follows part of a former Tour of Britain stage.http://www.wheelsinwheels.com/TourofWorcester/Tour_of_Worcester_sportive_event.html
6. Steve Craddock, Mark Friend and Francis Longworth have booked flights to Mallorca from 26/2-5/3/15. Incredibly cheap £66 return from Bristol with EasyJet.
Bristol to Majorca (Palma) EZY6039 Th.26/02/2015 11.30
Majorca (Palma) to Bristol EZY6040 Th.05/03/2015 15.20
Timings are good such that we could ride on the evening of arrival and on the day of departure (particularly if hiring a bike – recommended). These dates will overlap with Stourbridge Velo’s training camp and training will be led by Chris Davies and Jonathan Davies of WorldVeloCamp: http://www.worldvelocamp.com/ Anyone else who would like to take advantage of these incredible prices should book soon! Andy Hurst may cop-ordinate planning this trip.
7. Steve Craddock has looked into availability of Finstall Village Hall for turbo sessions and Wednesdays at 7.30pm looks like a possibility. Contact Steve if interested.
8. If anyone wants to put anything on the club website, do let me know.
V-Sprint Club Newsletter (1) – Thursday 18 September 2014
1. Club rides are back up and running after the summer holidays. Tuesdays, Thursdays at 7pm. Saturdays and Sundays at 9.30am. Full details on the club website at: http://club.v-sprint.com/club-rides/ We want to build up the Sunday ride, and the ‘B’ ride in particular, so invite along anyone who you think might be interested.
2. The general feeling at the meeting was that club members would like to do a bit more racing next year, and have some of our training geared towards this. The LVRC series in Region 6 (Midlands) was suggested as a possible set of races that club members could aim at, with races roughly once a month. The first is at Pinvin in March 2015, which some riders rode last year shortly after Mallorca. The Woolly Mamil series of 4 circuit race in late Jan/Feb at Stourport would be another good early-season target. Jim Varnish also mentioned that Jonathan Davies of Stourbridge Velo was interested in setting up a winter/early season set of races locally.
3. Booking the Stourport circuit for training (from 10am-12pm on the first Sunday of every month) was a popular idea, with Jim Varnish offer to provide coaching geared at race preparation and practice. Lee was going to follow up on this.
4. Steve Craddock and others would like to do some track training and racing. It was suggested that we get Doug Pinkerton to do some Derny training on a track somewhere (Halesowen?). Derby indoor velodrome is opening to the public next month too. Friday Night Track League at Halesowen is a possibility for races. Also Wednesdays at Aldersley in Wolverhampton.
5. Jackie Fowler (and Andy?) and I – and a couple of others – are doing the Tour of Worcester event on Sun Oct 12. I did this in 2009. Ankerdine, etc. Follows part of a former Tour of Britain stage.http://www.wheelsinwheels.com/TourofWorcester/Tour_of_Worcester_sportive_event.html
6. We discussed another training camp to Mallorca and Jim suggested that we overlap with Stourbridge Velo’s dates. I spoke to Shahida Davies about this on the club run this morning and Stourbridge are going on 1 March 2015. Some of them are staying for 7 days, others for 10. I just checked easy jet flights from Bristol and you can go for £71 return Thursday 26 Feb – Thursday 5 March. The travel times are better than Sunday 1st – Sunday 8th, and mean that you can ride on date of arrival and departure. I’m tempted to book 26th-5th now. http://www.worldvelocamp.com/ About £25 per night. Who is up for this?
7. Some people are keen to do a gym-based circuit training session over the winter. Jim and Lee were going to organize this.
8. There was also some support for a turbo session over the winter. Possibly on Wednesday. Steve Craddock was going to look into this.
9. I’ll put out texts about training rides. If you are not currently receiving these, please send your mobile number to me and I will add you to the list.
10. I’ll also do a weekly email ‘newsletter’ to keep people updated about what is going on. We should also meet about once a month in The Cross for a social, and to see that everything is running smoothly.
11. If anyone wants to put anything on the club website, do let me know.